~ featuring the art of Cia Williford of Briarwood Studio ~

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Sweet Song Bird

When you're taking the Alzheimer's Walk, whether it's your own journey or whether you are walking alongside a loved one, there are many . . . many  . . . things that will break your heart along the way. But the truly amazing thing about the Alzheimer's Walk is that there are also some stop-you-in-your-tracks beautiful, amazing, moments, as well. Amidst the heartache, one can actually find joy.

And that's how you get through the days.

For me, one of the most amazing things about the Walk is the people you meet along the way. People that will touch your heart so strongly that you will never be the same again. I'd like to tell you about two of those people now.

Barbara Taylor Vaughan has Alzheimer's. She lives with her daughter, Missy, who has MS. I don't know them personally. Only through Facebook. Barbara keeps up a running commentary on her Alzheimer's Walk with Missy at her side. Barbara's commentaries are priceless: sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always, always real.

Between them, they have more courage and compassion than you could ever hope to find in one lifetime.

They inspire me, these two wonderful ladies, and they don't even know it. As I walk alongside my Dad on his Walk, I often think of the two of them. And I wrap all of us -- my family, my Dad, Missy and her Mom, all the families out there dealing with this unbearable disease -- I mentally wrap all of us in love. And hope.

Barbara is my songbird, singing her song on Facebook and making me smile. She is the subject of my latest painting and it is entitled "Love Never Forgets Love."

To Barbara and Missy, with love. 


8 comments:

  1. oh my, what an honor, what a lovely lovely picture, thank you for all your love, it made my day, bless your heart, you are a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have chosen more deserving people or subject to write about and the illustration is wonderful too. Loved it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. love never forgets love....I am crying right now...thank you Cia, My mother is my joy, even with her alzheimers and my MS, we still have each other. You are right, Love never forgets love, at least that is my hope, my dream, that she always knows that I love her

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute to a really extraordinary pair of people. I don't know them in person---but I do know them personally and intimately through Facebook and I am so privileged. I don't have Alzheimer's in my immediate life the wisdom and humanity of Missy and Barbara "ease the pain of living" (Alan Ginsberg) with their amazing grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! These people are so deserving of this. And I'm greatful for your words to them for they are what I would love to say but I'm not as eloquent as you .The art work is so delightful. Thank you so very much for this beautiful piece of your heart. I wish you all the best life has to offer. I will pass it forward by volunteering more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece. My husband's grandmother is battling this disease right now. Sometimes it is hard to see the good things, so thank you for this touching tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. I also have been touched by Alzheimers. My Mother died of it when she was 72. Her mother her mother started at 55 and died when she was 68. My Aunt just died last year. My Dads Mother she was older, she started when she was 80 and died when she was 89 of. It is a long goodbye. Sad disease. I did a special post on my blog about my Mother and how to speak to people that have Alzheimers. http://heatherlfoust.blogspot.com/2012/02/old-lost-photos-found-alzheimers.html. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cia, following you from Tracy's "magical" group. Hope you'll follow on mine too. You've made a lovely blog here.

    Coleen in Ukraine
    www.vintageterrace2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Leave a "little" love before you go...