~ featuring the art of Cia Williford of Briarwood Studio ~

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Celebrate the Gifts

Today's piece is serving double duty: it's my face for the 29 Faces in May Challenge, as well as my painting for Week 19 of LifeBook 2012.

In LifeBook, Tam's lesson was about honoring the present, with a focus on using lettering and words in our mixed media.

My "stepping off" point for this painting was thinking about my Dad's Alzheimer's: how much it has affected my life, and how much it has taught me about living. I've learned that even with the stress and pain and heartbreak, there is always something to be thankful for...even if it's just a simple kiss on the check, or a remembered name, or a hand gently held.

This piece is so very special to me. Incorporated in the background (which you can't see anymore) are the following words, which came to me as I contemplated doing this piece:


To find beauty in the midst of incredible pain is to understand the meaning of God.


To find beauty in the midst of incredible sorrow is to understand the meaning of Love.


To be thankful for all of it -- the pain, the sorrow, and the beauty -- is to understand the meaning of Life.



2 comments:

  1. This is a touching tribute to your father and all that your family has gone through with this disease. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cia, A beautiful painting and beautiful life lesson! You have embraced your life journey more fully than I have been able to - still working on it and wondering if it ever gets easier. I started to watch Tam last night but was unable to finish. Hope to be able to embrace the lesson late this evening.

    You wisdom filled words are perfect for me today!
    Hugs, Jessi xox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Leave a "little" love before you go...