~ featuring the art of Cia Williford of Briarwood Studio ~

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

To Frida, or not to Frida?

It seems that every female artist, at one time or another, does a painting of Frida Kahlo. It's a rite of passage or something. For the longest time I refused to do one. For one thing, I don't like doing what everyone else is doing (which is why a lot of online art classes -- "let's all paint a blue duck just like mine!" -- aren't a good fit for me). Plus, I have no particular love for, or connection to, Frida. I admire her work, her perseverance in the face of adversity, and her ability to overcome obstacles (painting in bed? while wearing a body cast? amazing).

But (and I can hear the collective gasp already), I never really "got" the Frida love.

Then I happened upon some quotes attributed to Frida and I thought, "Here's something I can love: her fighting spirit. Her willingness to know and love herself, just as she is. No pretenses." And so I painted Frida, and used my favorite quote on the print: "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?"

I will confess to having a bit of a soft spot for Frida now. Not so much as an iconic painter, but as a woman, a woman who knew sorrow, and immense struggles....and survived.

May we all have wings to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Leave a "little" love before you go...